Friday, November 7, 2014

Therapy Friday! - More Mojo Ramblings


More stream of consciousness whining on my part, so if you're looking for definite answers, you likely won't find them. It's more therapy time.

So I am still slogging through getting my creative mojo back. Maybe the problem is that I am being too picky.

My issue isn't what rules system I would use: I plan to use Savage Worlds.

It isn't about customizing rules or gear: I can do that easy enough.

The issue isn't so much story: I created over a hundred different adventure seeds that I even shared with you.

I think the kerfuffle has to do with the campaign setting.

I want to do a sci-fi game, but it needs something that will hook me in (or does it?) and keep me coming back to it even though a story has run its course. Am I willing to run a typical space pulp game. I keep looking for that SOMETHING that will make it stand out. Something that will hold my interest for the long haul.

There's this little nagging voice in my head that says "Space pulp just isn't enough. Everybody has done that."

But I looked around at some of the homebrew Fantasy settings that some people have made. What I see is "new maps" but the same old setting. The heroes are adventurers and they'll go into the wild to fight monsters etc, etc. I think the last time I saw a D&D based Fantasy setting that had a hook was Eberron which asked the obvious question "Why isn't everything in the world being run on these low level magics?"

I'm still looking for my hook.

One idea I had was to run a game based on 1970-80's sci-fi. And while that visual really intrigues me, it's mostly visual and not much else. Maybe I should look at some of the themes of the 1970's life style and see if anything there colors the sci-fi setting beyond just bell bottoms.

So I'm wondering...
Do you ever have these problems running through your head, or are you fine with simply running a campaign in the typical tropes of the genre you have chosen?
How do you inject that something new, or is it just me? Is my brain just burning itself up looking for a corner in a round room?


1 comment:

  1. The easy answer is to think of things you already like. Something else you want to play but can inject into this setting to get the elements of both. Eberron succeeded because it took pulp and noir and brought them into fantasy, which is why I love running it with Savage Worlds. For your setting, think about things you've recently enjoyed. Perhaps the Marvel films might be a format you can follow (aliens brought together to be the avengers of the galaxy and now have to stop a sentient, self-aware AI from destroying every system).

    ReplyDelete