Sunday, June 14, 2015

Starship Update


Sorry for the late post. I have been putting in about 60 hours a week at work and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon.

Still I decided to take Sunday off. With the wife gone I am able to focus on that nagging Starship problem.

Step one, I jotted down how I wanted starship operations to feel.

  • I wanted crew participation, not just a pilot
  • No starfighters, only starships
  • Tactics
  • Minimal weapon variance


And it hit me that what I wanted wasn't Star Wars space combat. It was Star Trek space combat. So I decided to have a look at other people's conversions of Star Trek space combat.

As I pointed out before in my post about Simplified Ranges, someone had already beaten me to the punch. Namely Michael S Callahan in his Red Alert conversion. I gave it another read through and found it had a lot of good ideas. This got my creative mojo flowing again and I took a look at my own Starship design.

The fact is, what I had designed wasn't bad either. It just needed a brush up. I need to add the Event Cards idea I came up with for in between adventures. That will take care of the Cargo runs and other logistics of running a starship. And the Red Alert conversion gave me new ideas about how the crew can contribute to the ship's operations.


Essentially what this all boils down to is that my mojo was unstuck by looking at the genre through a different setting's lens. So Star Trek styled ship combat in a dirty Star Wars style universe. I'm liking the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment