Monday, July 18, 2016

Update On My Mojo

Warning: This is a deeply personal post about things in my life. Quit reading now because Savage Worlds doesn't get a mention in this one.




I have been struggling for the past few years to get my creative mojo flowing. There were plenty of previous posts about this issue.

Some of my loyal readers might also have noticed that I'm crafting like a madman recently. Yes, my mojo is back. Games and art are fun once again. So what was the secret?

Meds.

Yup, I have had a lot of bad luck in the past few years what with the divorce, mother getting cancer, and the job loss. It really highlighted the fact that I suffer from the anxiety/depression double whammy. I never actually got over what my depression was doing to me despite getting rid of a bad wife, my mother beating cancer like Mike Tyson versus a boneless chicken, and moving on to a new studio.

Depression/anxiety meds are a tricky thing. Each individual reacts to them differently, so a doctor will keep switching them around until they find the one, or combination that work. Well they finally dialed me in, and the creativity is bursting from my head once more.

So if you've ever had one of those days where you just can't shake the nihilism, the dark thoughts, and you sometimes feel claustrophobic inside your own skin, get checked out. And if you are worried that medications that get rid of your darkness will kill your creativity,     you     are     wrong. If anything, it brushes away your biggest obstacle.

So take care of yourself. You are worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Wanted to say 'thank you' for posting this. I've had two friends come out about their mental conditions this year, so I hope it's a trend that will eventually do away with the stigma around mental illness. I don't know if you encountered any yourself.

    I recently got on an antidepressant that also works for chronic pain; I'm not sure if it was the pain that was making me depressed or if there was more to it, but that stuff works wonders for me after a rocky adjustment month or two. It was like I'd been wearing a lead suit for the past decade, and the drug took the lead suit off. Huge difference in my energy levels.

    To anyone else reading this, if you think meds might do you some good, please go talk to your primary care doc about them. Give the side effects time to fade, and keep bugging your doc to help you get the drug and the dose dialed in to what's right for you. It could change your life for the better. It did mine.

    -- a fellow gamer

    ReplyDelete