In my original post, I believed that the Hold actions were going to cause a lot of interrupt rolls. But after discussing things on the Pinnacle Forums I found that I was wrong.
Rules As Written, an ambush goes like this:
- Ambushers are all considered on Hold.
- Victims with Danger Sense make a Notice Roll at -2. If they succeed then they are also on Hold.
- Victims (as well as those with Danger Sense who failed their first roll) make a Notice roll. If they succeed, then they are dealt action cards.
- Characters on Hold go first. They only have to roll an Interrupt if they are specifically interrupting one card's actions.
- Anyone dealt a Joker can preempt someone on Hold.
So my old system changed the rules a lot but only saved on one roll (meaning the extra roll by anyone with Danger Sense). Any homebrew changes should be simple and address a real problem. Well for me, that extra roll is a problem and I have a better solution.
Everything is RAW, except that people with Danger Sense only make one Notice roll instead of two. Their Notice roll is +2. If they get a success, they get an action card like anyone else. If they get a raise, they begin on Hold like the ambushers.